Music while in a coding session...
Add Reply
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-15 23:47:31 UTC
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
adventures for sure:

Just wondering... :^)
John McCue
2024-07-16 00:53:08 UTC
followups trimmed to comp.lang.c
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
This is OT, usually I would ignore, but :)

I have never done that over the many decades I have
been a programmer. I would suggest you do no more then
say 12 hours straight. Mistakes will happen plus, this
will affect your health.

Just a friendly warning.
--
csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars
Lynn McGuire
2024-07-17 00:07:04 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
This is OT, usually I would ignore, but :)
I have never done that over the many decades I have
been a programmer. I would suggest you do no more then
say 12 hours straight. Mistakes will happen plus, this
will affect your health.
Just a friendly warning.
Not OT, most programmers love music. The arithmetic of music draws our
attention to it.

Lynn
David Brown
2024-07-17 07:45:41 UTC
Post by John McCue
This is OT, usually I would ignore, but :)
I have never done that over the many decades I have
been a programmer.  I would suggest you do no more then
say 12 hours straight.  Mistakes will happen plus, this
will affect your health.
Just a friendly warning.
Not OT, most programmers love music.  The arithmetic of music draws our
attention to it.
It is /completely/ OT for these groups. Most programmers are humans,
and most humans are fond of music. This is not exactly a revelation.

IMHO, an occasional totally off-topic thread in technical groups is no
bad thing. But don't pretend it is relevant to anything.

A discussion of programming environments might be considered somewhat
technical. Is it better to have a some background music, or silence
when programming? Is it better to have many shorter sessions or a few
long ones? Is an all-nighter a good idea or not? Is this dependent on
the programmer in question, the way they work (individuals or teams),
the type of project, the development stage (design, coding, debugging,
testing, documentation) ?

And a discussion about people's programming history and background can
be interesting and somewhat topical. Does it make a difference if you
learned C or C++ at university or are self-taught in the language? Does
a background with BASIC on home computers help, compared to, say,
FORTRAN or BCPL on big machines? Do people who learned C++98 carry over
old habits to modern C++ programming? Should C++ programmers first
learn assembly to understand the underlying machine, should they first
learn Haskell to learn to think of their code mathematically?

And we all like to talk about the good old days of ZX Spectrums with
chewing gum keyboards and wobbly ram packs. That would be totally off
topic, however. Some regulars, including me, think that's okay on
occasion - others think it is never a good thing in these Usenet groups,
and such threads will annoy them. You can't please everyone all the
time, of course, and no one should be expected to try.

But a thread apparently dedicated to "I like this music" is as inane and
pointless as the Chris/Bonita pissing matches we see regularly in
c.l.c++. And random youtube links just make it even worse. No one is
at all interested in what music other people like - even those that have
posted about what /they/ like.

Now, if Chris can get in the habit of putting his mindless "for some
reason this made me think of ... youtube ... " posts in this thread
alone, and not interspersed in real threads, then this OT thread would
be a great thing. (Chris also makes topical and sensible posts - it's
only his addiction to posting youtube links that is annoying.)
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 20:42:51 UTC
Post by John McCue
This is OT, usually I would ignore, but :)
I have never done that over the many decades I have
been a programmer.  I would suggest you do no more then
say 12 hours straight.  Mistakes will happen plus, this
will affect your health.
Just a friendly warning.
Not OT, most programmers love music.  The arithmetic of music draws
our attention to it.
What about using C++ to create music (say, MIDI for now) that you can
listen to while creating other music and/or other fun things indeed?

I have a means to code up MIDI using C++. Also have a crude WAV impl.
You can hear some of my wav work in the following animation:

All of the music is mine, created in my C++ program.

(Rotation Mutation (0.0.1))

My experimental wav part is around 1:03 seconds in at:

http://youtu.be/DrPp6xfLe4Q

[...]
David Brown
2024-07-18 07:31:15 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by John McCue
This is OT, usually I would ignore, but :)
I have never done that over the many decades I have
been a programmer.  I would suggest you do no more then
say 12 hours straight.  Mistakes will happen plus, this
will affect your health.
Just a friendly warning.
Not OT, most programmers love music.  The arithmetic of music draws
our attention to it.
What about using C++ to create music (say, MIDI for now) that you can
listen to while creating other music and/or other fun things indeed?
What about not posting random youtube links at all?

Please understand the topicality of these groups - then you can make a
conscious decision to stretch the topicality if you think it is
appropriate, instead of just spilling every stray thought that passes
through your head. (Again - I personally am not as rigid about sticking
to topicality as some regulars, but I think it is important not to get
carried away, and it is important to know when something is not even
close to topical. Technical groups need to maintain a level of focus or
they either disappear entirely, or descend into cesspits like
sci.electronics.design.)

These groups are about the /languages/ C and C++. They are not about
programs that happen to be written in those languages, and certainly not
about what was created using programs that happened to be written in
those languages.

So if you've written a program in C++, it is topical to discuss
particular aspects of the code that you think were hard, or interesting,
or that you have questions about, or that use unusual techniques that
you want to share with others. The complete program is not topical, nor
are its uses.

Can you appreciate the difference?
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-18 18:43:15 UTC
Post by David Brown
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by John McCue
This is OT, usually I would ignore, but :)
I have never done that over the many decades I have
been a programmer.  I would suggest you do no more then
say 12 hours straight.  Mistakes will happen plus, this
will affect your health.
Just a friendly warning.
Not OT, most programmers love music.  The arithmetic of music draws
our attention to it.
What about using C++ to create music (say, MIDI for now) that you can
listen to while creating other music and/or other fun things indeed?
What about not posting random youtube links at all?
They are not random... I used to give a link without any title
information. So that was bad.
Post by David Brown
Please understand the topicality of these groups - then you can make a
conscious decision to stretch the topicality if you think it is
appropriate, instead of just spilling every stray thought that passes
through your head.  (Again - I personally am not as rigid about sticking
to topicality as some regulars, but I think it is important not to get
carried away, and it is important to know when something is not even
close to topical.  Technical groups need to maintain a level of focus or
they either disappear entirely, or descend into cesspits like
sci.electronics.design.)
Have you ever written a C++ program to generate music in wav and/or midi
form? It's great fun, and is also able to make an n-ary field "dance" to
it. For some reason I always start with creating an algorithm for
percussion wrt midi. This sets the "main beat" for everything else to
follow...

Fwiw, here is an example called 3d Field Test (ver:0.0.2) where the
field lines respond to the music. It's rather crude, but works:

Post by David Brown
These groups are about the /languages/ C and C++.  They are not about
programs that happen to be written in those languages, and certainly not
about what was created using programs that happened to be written in
those languages.
So if you've written a program in C++, it is topical to discuss
particular aspects of the code that you think were hard, or interesting,
or that you have questions about, or that use unusual techniques that
you want to share with others.  The complete program is not topical, nor
are its uses.
Can you appreciate the difference?
Yes. Well, I am now trying to give the titles the youtube links I post,
did you notice that? They are not random. Creating a percussion using
say, mod, can be fun. Creating interesting drum beats. Using different
tracks with midi channel 10 can be used to separate the percussion
instruments.

Humm... I wonder if the music that C++ coders tend to listen to might be
different that the music Java programmers listen to? Interesting in a sense?

Keeping all of this contained in this thread should be easy for others
to just block, ignore, ect...?
David Brown
2024-07-19 11:14:39 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by David Brown
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by John McCue
This is OT, usually I would ignore, but :)
I have never done that over the many decades I have
been a programmer.  I would suggest you do no more then
say 12 hours straight.  Mistakes will happen plus, this
will affect your health.
Just a friendly warning.
Not OT, most programmers love music.  The arithmetic of music draws
our attention to it.
What about using C++ to create music (say, MIDI for now) that you can
listen to while creating other music and/or other fun things indeed?
What about not posting random youtube links at all?
They are not random... I used to give a link without any title
information. So that was bad.
There is no information content in them, no pattern, no purpose - they
are just noise here, based on random thoughts you have at the time.
Would it have made any difference to people in these groups if the links
had come from some youtube random link generator? I don't think so. So
they are random.

Giving the links a title does mean that we can all see they are random
and pointless without clicking on them (not that people did that anyway).

Now, if the links were titled "This is the best explanation of CRTP I
have seen" or "This video shows the real-world effects of C++ execution
policies", then that would be fine. But they are not so titled.

Chris, you post some interesting and thoughtful things at times. You
have long experience, and you are energetic about sharing it. But far
too often, you communicate as if this were a social media site for bored
teenagers. A Usenet group is not a formal academic forum, but most
regulars prefer a higher signal to noise ratio than you manage with your
incessant nonsense posts.
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by David Brown
Please understand the topicality of these groups - then you can make a
conscious decision to stretch the topicality if you think it is
appropriate, instead of just spilling every stray thought that passes
through your head.  (Again - I personally am not as rigid about
sticking to topicality as some regulars, but I think it is important
not to get carried away, and it is important to know when something is
not even close to topical.  Technical groups need to maintain a level
of focus or they either disappear entirely, or descend into cesspits
like sci.electronics.design.)
Have you ever written a C++ program to generate music in wav and/or midi
form?
No. And if I had, it would not be relevant here.

As I have said many times, a /little/ bit of OT discussion is, IMHO,
fine. You write some interesting programs, and some people are going to
be interested in them. So if you have written some code that you think
others will want to hear about, then you might /occasionally/ start a
new OT thread about it. Talk about the code. If there is interest and
a thread forms, fine.

But imagine what would happen if /everyone/ in this group posted about
every program they have written in C or C++, as well as posts with links
to every youtube video they found interesting. Clearly that would be a
complete mess, destroying the group. So why should /you/ get to post
like that? What makes you think you are so special that other people
have to read about ever little fleeting thought that passes through your
mind?
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by David Brown
These groups are about the /languages/ C and C++.  They are not about
programs that happen to be written in those languages, and certainly
not about what was created using programs that happened to be written
in those languages.
So if you've written a program in C++, it is topical to discuss
particular aspects of the code that you think were hard, or
interesting, or that you have questions about, or that use unusual
techniques that you want to share with others.  The complete program
is not topical, nor are its uses.
Can you appreciate the difference?
Yes.
Really?
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Well, I am now trying to give the titles the youtube links I post,
did you notice that?
Yes. I do appreciate that - it makes them less obnoxious, but no more
relevant.
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
They are not random.
Of course they are. They might not seem random to /you/, but that's
irrelevant - they are functionally random to anyone else who sees them.

I'm glad you are having fun with your programming, but we don't need to
hear about it.
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Keeping all of this contained in this thread should be easy for others
to just block, ignore, ect...?
That is certainly true, and it is (to me, anyway) very much less
annoying when these kinds of posts are kept in one thread, and don't
mess up interesting topical threads.
yeti
2024-07-16 04:56:03 UTC
Klaus Schulze - Timewind (1975) HQ
https://invidious.fdn.fr/watch?v=8tV5Q9WlIZ8
I do not bite, I just want to play.
Bonita Montero

candycanearter07
2024-07-16 13:50:04 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I don't do coding sprees usually, but I just shuffle my collection of
game OSTs or use an internet radio stream.
Pierre
2024-07-16 14:18:30 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I started my bedroom coding journey on a ZX Spectrum+ (BASIC and machine code)
listening to Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre. The music was recorded to
cassette from CD, as our only CD player was in the lounge Hi-Fi stack. Through
my Commodre Amiga, SGI IRIX and GNU/Linux coding years I would still listen to
TD and JMJ to get into the 'zone'. My TD and JMJ CDs are now ripped as flac
files on my GNU/Linux PC and played using cmus.
To quote Galen Erso, "It's a peaceful life."
legalize+ (Richard)
2024-07-16 22:31:23 UTC
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I started my bedroom coding journey on a ZX Spectrum+ (BASIC and machine code)
listening to Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre.
Les Concerts en Chine
The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>
Pierre
2024-07-17 13:41:51 UTC
Post by legalize+ (Richard)
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I started my bedroom coding journey on a ZX Spectrum+ (BASIC and machine code)
listening to Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre.
Les Concerts en Chine
Awesome album, especially "Arpegiateur"

Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 02:17:24 UTC
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I started my bedroom coding journey on a ZX Spectrum+ (BASIC and machine code)
listening to Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre.
I stared with BASIC as well, on my Atari. Then I got my hands on an
Apple IIGS, and it had that light weight assembler built in. I started
learning bits and pieces of assembly language, and where to poke and
peek wrt BASIC. fun times! There is a fun emulator here wrt AppleSoft Basic:

https://www.calormen.com/jsbasic
Post by Pierre
The music was recorded to
cassette from CD, as our only CD player was in the lounge Hi-Fi stack. Through
my Commodre Amiga, SGI IRIX and GNU/Linux coding years I would still listen to
TD and JMJ to get into the 'zone'. My TD and JMJ CDs are now ripped as flac
files on my GNU/Linux PC and played using cmus.
To quote Galen Erso, "It's a peaceful life."
Nice! This sounds great, Tangerine Dream - Best of:

:^)
Pierre
2024-07-17 13:56:21 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Pierre
The music was recorded to
cassette from CD, as our only CD player was in the lounge Hi-Fi stack. Through
my Commodre Amiga, SGI IRIX and GNU/Linux coding years I would still listen to
TD and JMJ to get into the 'zone'. My TD and JMJ CDs are now ripped as flac
files on my GNU/Linux PC and played using cmus.
To quote Galen Erso, "It's a peaceful life."
http://youtu.be/oxYjMVLrHRM
Nice.

You will often find me "3 AM At The Border Of The Marsh From Okefenokee"

or engaging in some "Risky Business"

State Azure cover

Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 02:23:45 UTC
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I started my bedroom coding journey on a ZX Spectrum+ (BASIC and machine code)
listening to Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre. The music was recorded to
cassette from CD, as our only CD player was in the lounge Hi-Fi stack. Through
my Commodre Amiga, SGI IRIX and GNU/Linux coding years I would still listen to
TD and JMJ to get into the 'zone'. My TD and JMJ CDs are now ripped as flac
files on my GNU/Linux PC and played using cmus.
To quote Galen Erso, "It's a peaceful life."
A good friend way back then, 80's, with the first name of Chris,
strange, well, his Dad must of worked for Apple or something. He had a
lot of of Apple computers. Mac's, Apple ii's, ect... A library of games,
ect... Programming at his house was fun. His Dad was into classical
music, not really 80's soft rock. He would play it loud, not light. And
would sometimes watch me code. Wow. Hid Dad used to love playing this:

Fwiw, all of the visuals in here are from my C++ code:

(Moonlight Sonata)

(Ride of the Valkyries)

I worked hard on those. Some hours on and end until everything was right.
Pierre
2024-07-17 14:01:52 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
[...]
http://youtu.be/DSiWvF5QOiI
(Ride of the Valkyries)
http://youtu.be/QFPSYsYUKBA
I worked hard on those. Some hours on and end until everything was right.
Awesome fractal effects.
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 20:51:58 UTC
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
[...]
Thanks! And thanks to C++. Here are the results of some of my opengl,
GLSL, and C++ work along with the music is mine as well good ol MIDI, lol:

(Fractal Boom Box)

Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 21:03:58 UTC
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Pierre
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
[...]
This would be fun to animate an fly through in VR:

One of my older 3d models:

https://skfb.ly/6RozT

Here is a 3d field:

https://skfb.ly/6QU86

https://skfb.ly/6TuEV
Lynn McGuire
2024-07-16 18:56:58 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I have the local FM 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s rock radio station on barely
high enough to hear it. Just a little background noise. Been using
that while programming since 1986.

Lynn
Lynn McGuire
2024-07-16 18:58:38 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I have the local FM 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s rock radio station on barely
high enough to hear it.  Just a little background noise.  Been using
that while programming since 1986.
Lynn
The most I have ever gone in a programming session is probably 16 hours.

Lynn
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-16 20:34:33 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I have the local FM 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s rock radio station on
barely high enough to hear it.  Just a little background noise.  Been
using that while programming since 1986.
That's strange because I learned BASIC in the early 80's listening to
the same type of music! Soft 80's rock, ect... My Dad used to listen to
this during they day from time to time on a rather lowish volume. I
would be there learning how to program in BASIC. I had LOGO and PILOT as
well... Born in 1977, so I was pretty young. 6-7 years old, iirc.
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Lynn
The most I have ever gone in a programming session is probably 16 hours.
I remember way back when I got an Atari 800xl for Christmas in the early
80's. I noticed a BASIC cartridge along with a spiral bound book that
taught BASIC. It had a snake game, and a couple of other game
examples... (I cannot remember the name of that book right now, damn it)
Stayed up for around 13 hours reading and programming in the examples...

:^)
red floyd
ZZ Top used to be my go-to. Had that nice driving beat.
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 03:55:27 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say
a 30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember
listening to this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I have the local FM 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s rock radio station on
barely high enough to hear it.  Just a little background noise.
Been using that while programming since 1986.
That's strange because I learned BASIC in the early 80's listening to
the same type of music! Soft 80's rock, ect... My Dad used to listen
to this during they day from time to time on a rather lowish volume. I
would be there learning how to program in BASIC. I had LOGO and PILOT
as well... Born in 1977, so I was pretty young. 6-7 years old, iirc.
ZZ Top used to be my go-to.   Had that nice driving beat.
Nice! Big time. Creedence. Way back then it seemed that for several new
years eve parties in a row; Earth, Wind & Fire Let's Groove was played.
For some reason, when I first watched the following movie, it made me
want to program more than ever! Still, not exactly sure why:

Heavy Metal

red floyd
2024-07-17 18:51:45 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Heavy Metal
http://youtu.be/l6JgTQicjIk
STERNN!!!!!!
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 20:28:39 UTC
Post by red floyd
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Heavy Metal
http://youtu.be/l6JgTQicjIk
STERNN!!!!!!
Big time! The trial for that guy and the escape was pretty cool. Still
love that movie.

Wrt some music, for some reason I am thinking about setting one of my
Fractal Field Dancer experiments to the following song:

(Don Henley - All She Wants To Do Is Dance (Official Music Video)):

Reading this makes me think of older music.
red floyd
2024-07-18 01:55:26 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by red floyd
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Heavy Metal
http://youtu.be/l6JgTQicjIk
STERNN!!!!!!
Big time! The trial for that guy and the escape was pretty cool. Still
love that movie.
Wrt some music, for some reason I am thinking about setting one of my
http://youtu.be/eud5AurOxm0
Reading this makes me think of older music.
Good song. Also, the soundtrack to Heavy Metal is one of the best ever.
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-18 05:19:00 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by red floyd
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Heavy Metal
http://youtu.be/l6JgTQicjIk
STERNN!!!!!!
Big time! The trial for that guy and the escape was pretty cool. Still
love that movie.
Wrt some music, for some reason I am thinking about setting one of my
http://youtu.be/eud5AurOxm0
Reading this makes me think of older music.
Good song.   Also, the soundtrack to Heavy Metal is one of the best ever.
For some damn reason YouTube started playing Toto during my most recent
coding session, around 30 minutes... Strange, damn computer is recording
my thoughts, lol! Here is the result:

A 360 over on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1202149514277378

Another very complex 360:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1201315464360783

Do any of these work on your end in 360?

I have some up on youtube, but they are short and need to be looped!

Its very fast, and really needs to be looped in order to explore it, so
to speak.
Ross Finlayson
2024-07-31 02:19:49 UTC
How about Bell-Bottom Blues, or Roundabout from Yes if you've
heard of it, perhaps the soundtrack from Mechwarrior 2,
Achilles Last Stand is kind of distracting, In the Light, say,
bit of Soundgarden, good coding music is also usually good
driving music, compared to something that sort of demands
getting up and rocking out.

"As long as it's loud, ...."

Supertramp? Space Trumpets?

I'm trying to figure out an obligatory song about coding,
what comes to mind is Styx and Mr. Roboto, then there's
Rush or something like that, "put your brain in write mode".

Paperback Writer, ....
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-08-16 07:00:19 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I have the local FM 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s rock radio station on
barely high enough to hear it.  Just a little background noise.  Been
using that while programming since 1986.
Lynn
The most I have ever gone in a programming session is probably 16 hours.
I remember way back when I fixed a big time hard to find race condition.
Well, my friend played this:

Peace Train

:^D
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-09-08 07:01:06 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I have the local FM 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s rock radio station on
barely high enough to hear it.  Just a little background noise.  Been
using that while programming since 1986.
Lynn
The most I have ever gone in a programming session is probably 16 hours.
Lynn
Very Beautiful:

(Celtic Woman - Ave Maria)

candycanearter07
2024-07-17 15:10:03 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I have the local FM 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s rock radio station on barely
high enough to hear it. Just a little background noise. Been using
that while programming since 1986.
Lynn
I have a little bedside radio tuned to the local indie station, but i
don't usually use it for coding music.
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 03:48:15 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
I remember listening to this a while back during coding sessions:

Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie

Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-17 20:34:59 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
Have you ever programmed your own music? I have, in C++ using good ol'
MIDI. :^)

A little field dancer I made:

Here is some more, well, this is a little dark wrt the music, like a
horror movie, resident evil games or something:

Fun to program your own music, then listen to it while programming new
things, so to speak... ;^D

Another experiment of mine:

All in C++.
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-18 05:32:47 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
Fwiw, here is some fun music that drives an interesting beat to code
along with:

[Oscilloscope View] 8-Bit Mentality - Stage7/Genshiken

Pretty cool. Even used over on shadertoy.
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-29 03:15:22 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
For some reason this song was on as I was coding up a landscape. I need
to switch to a less spyware laced os. Type in a song, and youtube goes
nuts on it! Damn Windows! ;^)

(Vicci Martinez - Come Along ft. Cee-Lo Green)

Here is some my work:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1208835113608818

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1208169443675385

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1208142027011460
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-29 19:50:05 UTC
On 7/28/2024 8:15 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
[...]

A fun 360 from some of my work:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1209280163564313
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-29 19:50:18 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
[...]
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1209280163564313
C++ rocks! :^)
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-30 20:48:15 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
Some very soothing music for after you get done with some code and are
just reading it and examining its output, everything is working,
indeed... Watch out... The music might render one into a rather "sleepy"
state... ;^)

Chris M. Thomasson
2024-07-30 20:50:00 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
Some very soothing music for after you get done with some code and are
just reading it and examining its output, everything is working,
indeed... Watch out... The music might render one into a rather "sleepy"
state... ;^)
Aquatic Ambiance Donkey Kong
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
http://youtu.be/-5rAjOjTGtc
Oh I forgot that the 8-bit Band (really good), did one for this exact song:

Aquatic Ambiance - Big Band Jazz Piano ft. Smart Game Piano (The 8-Bit
Big Band)

This is a live band, pretty damn good!
Josef Möllers
2024-08-04 20:42:24 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
My understanding is that listening to music uses the same parts of the
brain that are needed for logical thinking, so I don't do that.

Josef
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-08-04 21:01:37 UTC
Post by Josef Möllers
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
My understanding is that listening to music uses the same parts of the
brain that are needed for logical thinking, so I don't do that.
Good one! Humm... How about the sound of silence? ;^D

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence (Audio)

Listen to it a volume zero? ;^) lol.
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-08-04 21:57:43 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Josef Möllers
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
My understanding is that listening to music uses the same parts of the
brain that are needed for logical thinking, so I don't do that.
Good one! Humm... How about the sound of silence? ;^D
Simon & Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence (Audio)
http://youtu.be/4fWyzwo1xg0
Listen to it a volume zero? ;^) lol.
Still trying to see what music goes with this older experiment of mine:

Field Spiral Test Ver 0.0

:^) Any thoughts?
Stefan Ram
2024-08-04 21:27:37 UTC
Post by Josef Möllers
My understanding is that listening to music uses the same parts of the
brain that are needed for logical thinking, so I don't do that.
When I was 14, I used to jam out to music while tackling my homework.
Back then, I guess I didn't think it was too distracting, or maybe I
just didn't care!

Oh man! Now you all know my secret (I'm older than 14)! From now
on, I'll read all my posts twice before hitting send! Or maybe I
should just stop posting on Usenet while bumping tunes . . .
wij
2024-08-05 01:39:10 UTC
Post by Josef Möllers
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
My understanding is that listening to music uses the same parts of the
brain that are needed for logical thinking, so I don't do that.
Josef
The sheet music player proves that it is the same as Turing Machine.

A sheet music player written in C++ (full source)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/smlx/files/latest/download

Several classics included as example, e.g. YANNI's 3 songs
wij
2024-08-05 11:39:12 UTC
Post by wij
Post by Josef Möllers
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
My understanding is that listening to music uses the same parts of the
brain that are needed for logical thinking, so I don't do that.
Josef
The sheet music player proves that it is the same as Turing Machine.
A sheet music player written in C++ (full source)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/smlx/files/latest/download
Several classics included as example, e.g. YANNI's 3 songs
Forgot to say. There are Twin Peak (theme) and Time.
Chris might like it.
Joe Pfeiffer
2024-08-05 03:29:47 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
Reminds of when I was vice chair of the NMSU faculty senate. The last
meeting of the semester, the chair (for reasons known only to her)
decided to share how she went about grading final exams. She said she
had her cat sit in her lap, put on some Mozart, and had a cup of
tea. Then she asked me what I did. I said my approach was similar, but
it was a golden retriever, the Grateful Dead, and rum.
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-08-11 19:22:26 UTC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
Reminds of when I was vice chair of the NMSU faculty senate. The last
meeting of the semester, the chair (for reasons known only to her)
decided to share how she went about grading final exams. She said she
had her cat sit in her lap, put on some Mozart, and had a cup of
tea. Then she asked me what I did. I said my approach was similar, but
it was a golden retriever, the Grateful Dead, and rum.
:^D

Her cat... Was it named NAND?

NAND Cat [original]

How long can you listen to this before jumping right off a bridge? lol. ;^)
Chris Ahlstrom
2024-08-12 12:07:04 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a
30 hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to
this old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's
Reminds of when I was vice chair of the NMSU faculty senate. The last
meeting of the semester, the chair (for reasons known only to her)
decided to share how she went about grading final exams. She said she
had her cat sit in her lap, put on some Mozart, and had a cup of
tea. Then she asked me what I did. I said my approach was similar, but
it was a golden retriever, the Grateful Dead, and rum.
:^D
Her cat... Was it named NAND?
NAND Cat [original]
http://youtu.be/kdCJunw_Jgg
How long can you listen to this before jumping right off a bridge? lol. ;^)
It beats "Badger badger badger..."

I generally have one of the SomaFM channels playing while I code.
--
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less
than half of you half as well as you deserve.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien
fir
2024-08-19 15:54:56 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
i not especially listen tu music when i code (or coded is i like mostly
dropped coding) - i usually used usenet, chat/irc, more often watched tv
than watchied youtube in backround (also)

as to music in few recent yers what i was more into listening was
lil xan.. starcrawler.. a bit of kenny mason... this year i listened
speultura roots more than 5 times (probably 10 which is good score as to
full album)..recently listened polish hiphop gut 'arab'
back in times i got a phase when i liked to listen nicki minaj
(but now im so old i feel like zombie at least partially)
Chris M. Thomasson
2024-08-27 01:57:36 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
Ever play this game?

(Final Fantasy II SNES Music 10 Cave Theme):

candycanearter07
2024-08-27 15:30:04 UTC
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Post by Chris M. Thomasson
Does anybody listen to any particular music when there are on, say a 30
hour coding spree, barely any sleep? Fwiw, I remember listening to this
old video game music from Final Fantasy II back in the 90's during code
http://youtu.be/KC-y7ViVDNE
Just wondering... :^)
Ever play this game?
http://youtu.be/W2mIoOyQihE
Never played it, but the music sounds cool.